18 May 2011

Balenciaga and Spain

What a tremendous opportunity I had to visit this exhibit (curated by Vogue's European editor-at-large, Hamish Bowles) at San Francisco's de Young Museum. How wonderfully perfect for me that such an astonishing exhibit should compose itself right in my neck of the woods (the museum is actually in the middle of a forested park.)

I realize that these photos do the pieces no justice. All the more reason for you to see the exhibit in person!

Round!
As silly (and pod-like) as this looks, it's actually a very cleverly crafted dress. The top 
"bubble" comes off to reveal a sleeveless gown. Pure genius. And my favorite piece.

Glam!
Speaking of clever and useful, the skirt on this dress unties to become quite the lovely cloak. 
You know, to keep your bare shoulders warm during those chilly Spanish nights.

Dance!
This was one of the first pieces I saw, and I absolutely fell in love. 
You really have to see the detail of the embellishment in person.

Truly a visionary of fashion and master of dressmaking, Cristobal Balenciaga. Obviously the distinction of the house has a great history to it.

Thanks are in order for Leeching Tran for the inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment