03 September 2011

Introducing Electra Heart

I live for this sort of pretension. Or maybe I should call it artistic expression of perspective.

At any rate, here's some background: Marina and the Diamonds recently released two new music videos for her upcoming album, Electra Heart. They're part of a series, which she is using as a platform to introduce the character of Electra Heart who is "the antithesis of everything that I stand for" according to Marina.


To continue quoting from her Popjustice interview: "[The] point of introducing her and building a whole concept around her is that she stands for the corrupt side of American ideology, and basically that's the corruption of yourself. My worst fear - that's anyone's worst fear - is losing myself and becoming a vacuous person. And that happens a lot when you're very ambitious."


For the record, I'm genuinely impressed when musicians come up with these aggrandizing concepts.


When asked about her inspiration for the premise of this series: "I want to explore the side [of America] that's all about loss and failure. That image, that illusion we have of America really fascinates me."


I smell another Gaga act developing. No, I kid. I really do love Marina and the Diamonds.



Part 1: Fear and Loathing


Part 2: Radioactive

No comments:

Post a Comment